Thursday, July 13, 2006

Iranian Rice: Polo

Iranian Rice is not as famous as Persian Rug or Persian Cat or even Iranian pistachio but I think it deserves a ranking of such recognition somehow. The thing is since its production only suffices Iranian consumers inside Iran, who love it to bits, it is not exported in large scale. What separates Iranian rice from other kinds, like let's say the famous Indian Tilda, is its smell.

For us Iranians who are brought up with its lovely smell it smells not only of a very yummy meal awaiting grumbling tummies, it also smells of 'home', of 'mum', of 'a hot family meal', of 'old good days'. I never forget overeating myself till I had a tummy ache and yet I did not like to leave it at that. I liked and llike raisin in my Rice a lot: 'Keshmesh Polo' it is called. In farsi, cooked rice is called 'Polo' and 'polo' always means a tasty meal for us. My other favourite is Zereshk Polo: which means Polo topped by gazillions of SWEETENED Zereshk. Then, I don't bother if there is any chicken or not. It usually comes with Chicken though. It is good to mention that Saffron is almost an indispensable companion to Iranian Polo.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Behrouz,
My favorites were Zeresk polo, tachin, shirin polo, ghormesabzi , khoresht e aloo esfenaaj and chelo kabaab e soltani.
mariamusic.

nyx said...

geee Behrooz, I've just had breakfast and still my mouth is watering (*hahah* is it actually possible to say that in english? maybe it's a swedish expression?)

Rose said...

Yummmm!

Rose said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
. said...

Maria--Shirin Polo is wonderful; I love it.

nyx--yes you can; they say the same in English.

Rose--;-)

Anonymous said...

I'd never heard of any of those dishes before.They sound good and i do love the taste and fragrance of saffron.

Anonymous said...

The other day, I went to a persian store to buy khalaal e pesteh, badoom, portoghal, and etc. to make a shirin polo for my mom, but they didn't have them.
One can live without it, can't one?
mariamusic.

. said...

hellbunny--Why not trying an Iranian restuarant once and take one of these names with you to see how they taste. I am confident that you won't regret it.

Maria--Don't stop trying. Your mum does deserve a treat of that kind ;-)

Anonymous said...

nah, I gave up on it. I would do that for some one waaaaayyyyy more special to me than my mom.
mariamusic.

. said...

maria--What?! Could you please give me your mum's phone no? I just want to have a quick chat ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hi behrooz,
She knows that already herself.
Do you still want her phone #?
mariamusic.

. said...

maria--No, that's ok. Mums are the only creatures who would help their loved ones to find that more special person, though I have sometimes seen or heard of some who try not to. ;-)

Arizona foreclosures said...

I'd never heard of any of those dishes before.They sound good and i do love the taste and fragrance of saffron.
Persian Rugs

darrell moddy said...

I think most people would do the same when they are headed with the situation.
canada pharmacy

Unknown said...

A fantastic read….very literate and informative. Many thanks
Seed Plant items

Anonymous said...

I am very glad to see such information which I was searching for a long time.


Executive gifts