Monday, June 05, 2006

Smiles on TV

Carol Kirkwood's smile and laugh is really infectious. It enlivens the mornings albeit the usually bad weather she can't help forecasting. She is charming and everything when her smiley figure fills one side of the screen. Her smile is a matter of talk whenever Breakfast presenters hand over to her to begin her weather report.

I felt like this for a long time until I saw her on BBC South presenting South weather forecast. I could not believe my eyes. Well, it is obvious that BBC South is not broadcast nationwide but it was less than obvious why all the smile has gone. This wasn't the same Carol Kirkwood! It was a very solemn and blank-faced Carol who was neither enjoying her job nor the weather, however lovely the weather was! And then it wasn't a rare incident of her like this either; I found the same unexciting Carol time and again on BBC South.

Now her smile has lost its charm and though I might sometimes absent-mindedly catch myself smiling while she is there all bubbly and happy I have grown suspicious about all the smiles on TV.

4 comments:

Dr O2 said...

TV is a place for the best in faking. :-S

Yet people are more original at the begining than wehn they become professional actors in fornt of the camera.

Anonymous said...

I think you can tell the difference between a genuine smile and a false one.When someone is genuine the whole face lights up not just the mouth.

. said...

dr 02--So true and so sad!

hellbunny--well as you see in the picture it is a whole face happiness.

Middle Man said...

I am with you on this. Carol and, in fact, all of the BBC News Weather Girls are close to being the only redeeming feature in the morning. Please see my own recent post on a similar subject:

http://caughtinthemiddleman.wordpress.com/2008/03/12/whatever-happened-to-the-news/