Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Humm... first thank you Farzad and me! But you both ruined my surprise! Yes, the first choice was "Gone with the Wind", and I cannot understand why. Or even if I can, I suppose I really can, I am just mad at it. The point is I think its fantastic cast (esp. the unforgettable Vivian Leigh), its book appeal (as many may have already read the novel), its historical significance, its intriguing plot, and its multi-layered story line have partially contributed, I presume, to the promotion of a deluded and fundamentalist feminism. It is a fact that not all Southern girls acted like Scarlet, not even her own sisters, yet she has been usually viewed as the top model for the modern woman in general. It is here that I think it may have not exactly served a very good general purpose. Unable , or reluctant, to recognise individual differences, many may have wasted their life and energy to become another Scarlet. This endeavour has been as funny as if Margaret Mitchell named all the sisters Scarlet and asked them all act the same. Anyway, it was said that two-third of the English pupulation have put their bums on cinama seats to watch it. It's democracy and everybody is allowed to rest his/her bum where ever s/he pleases. Who can argue with that?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I never thought of Scarlet as the symbol of feminism: I always thought she was the symbol of a spoiled but strong-willed girl that had to cope with the changes in her life and didn't wake up fully from her "dream-like" world till the very end.
Have U seen photos of M.M. or read about her?! Much more interesting than the Scarlet character ;)

Anonymous said...

The funny thing is that I'm not really crazy about "Gone with the wind", but it seems like many are. Sorry about ruining it 4 U may friend. Cheers :)

Anonymous said...

thanks Farzad, I was just kidding.