Sunday, February 05, 2006

Unasked for Help

Today a friend offered me some unasked-for sympathy and possibly help. It made the offer far more beautiful and invaluable. Thank you friend. I offer the beauty of the following memory to you.

Sweating all over, I was walking along the pathway in the campus. It was an exceptionally big campus, so it could take me some 30 minutes to reach the main enterance where I could take a taxi. As is not a rare thing to happen in Iran, a car stopped and asked me to pop-in. I did. I thanked him lavishly. He took it very lightly and asked me to see it as his duty. He then insisted that he really meant what he said. "As a human being whatever I can do for others is my duty," was his cool unforgettable reasoning in that hot summer day.

2 comments:

Shirin said...

That’s lovely Behrooz. I’m sure anyone that has experienced the heat of downtown Tehran, will undrestand exactly how you were feeling that day. I had a few experiences like this when I was hitchhiking around south of france with my friend (that maybe I could write about actually, umm, thatnks for the idea
;-) It can really make your day when complete strangers do nice things for you.

sands of time said...

It is heartwarming when total strangers show you some real kindness.