Sunday, February 19, 2006

Is it a male thing, me or what?

I had this Mico freeview box (to watch digital tv) from Asda. No sooner did I install it than I found out that to enjoy its high quality image you should first have high shooting skills to use the remote control: 30 degree angle, level with the box etc. If it happened that you were relaxing yourself on the sofa not facing your top-set in 30' angle then you were brutally reminded of your nonstandard non-hightech watching style. Anyway, I had it for over a month (I suffer from 'return-phobia') and then it began to act weirdly: switching itself off and on and failing signals. I could finally talk myself over to return it on the grounds that 'it is faulty and I am not a compulsive returner' etc. (And no points to me there; Asda is the best ever for returning; the guy did not even open the box).
So I go to Tesco and buy a Bush one. And voila: Bush is not so crap after all! And I can finally relax and watch digital channels. Isn't it a luxury!? You cannot believe how relieved I am now that I have a fully functional remote control. All this past month or two there was always something gnawing at me.
It is always like that with me. If my gadgets fail me, it goes right into my blood. Am I yet to grow up? Is it a male thing? Eccentric? Or ...

9 comments:

Dr O2 said...

nah me exactly shares the same preoccupations. I sometimes get lost over blaming myself for the gadgets not woking properly while I could have returned them or perhaps changed them for a better one!

. said...

dr 02-- that's a relief! Two is better than one. That self-blame is so true, especially when I had been two-minded about this or that and then the one I had bought proves to be the wrong choice. Aaarrrggghhhhhhhh!

sands of time said...

I think sometimes we expect new things to work properly and think it must be us not using them properly rather than the product must be faulty.

. said...

pink lady--noooo! honest! It really WAS fautly. I tried it for about two months.

Walker said...

Hi
Stopped by via The Pink Lady
It sounds like it was dewfective. To my knowledge just poiting the remote in the directioln of the box should be enough.
I hate returning things too.
I bought 2 shirt in New Zealand that should have fit from their tagged size but didn't. I went and bought 2 more instead of returning the ones I bought but I may try and loose some weight to fit in the ones. It might turn out to be a good buy. LOL

. said...

Hi walker and welcome. Well, it was defectively made I suppose, the make not being well-known. This new one works quite all right and life is much sweeter now!

I think non-returning people should set up a site and exchange their unwanted purchases! What size did you say your shirts are? And colour!?

Walker said...

I would normally be xxl and would have room. These were xxxl and I look like would have exploded through them.
They were made in china so I guess they are using the wrong people to compare sizes to.

. said...

walker--then I wonder how many x's they need to make a real xxxl size. Saying that doesn't mean that you shouldn't lose some weight.

Dr O2 said...

yeah!! yet we sometimes never know if our choice had been the wrong one or not!! yet guilt kills ;-)