Thursday, April 06, 2006

Understanding? (2)

When you sit by a stranger in a train station or in an airport it is likely that you wonder if s/he has the same destination as yours. You may even brave to ask him/her about it.

Of my two pet theories one is projection. By projection I mean when one extranalises his emotions, thoughts, etc and sees them in others too. (Pathetic fallacy, in which inanimate nature seems to have the same traits and feelings that the poet has, is one known example.) More and more I am convinced that human beings with a varying degree relate to the world around them through projection. It is only when they put their thoughts into words or discuss their perceptions that the discrepancy between their understanding and the outer world is revealed, sometimes tragically.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im not too sure what you were refering to by projection.I do think that people change to adapt to where they are.They must do that in order to fit in.Although we might visually fit if we start to talk to people then it is noticable that we are different.

Mehrabaneman said...

Life is a matter of perception and perhaps reflection. I do think that some people project their feelings and see them in others. But projection is more complicated. Usually people project thoughts or feelings that are in their subconscious.

jac said...

Thoughts are entirely a different action.
I think that thoughts are more related to anticipation.

Dr O2 said...

right U R agn Behrooz jan. Projection is one of our mental denfesive mechanisms. It helps us relieve the stress somewhat for a healthier mental state.

It would be fun to hear the projected thoughts of people about ourselves :-)

s said...

Sometimes when I'm out in nature, I can make my mind completely blank... and then whatever thoughts come to me at that point, feel very much like thoughts that are not exactly my own.... They are much wiser that "me"!

There is a field called ecopsychology... and one of its major tenets is that much of our individual and societal sufferings stem from a lack of connection to Nature... an inability (or unwillingness) to attribute intelligence (and the ability to communicate) to "inanimate" things.

. said...

Hellbunny--not easy to get used to your new name. Anyway, projection is in other words to see others as if they are like you.

Mehraban--you are right; projection happens more often than not subconsciously.

Jac--Honestly I don't know how much anticipation can be independent from projection when it concerns other people.

Dr O2--Well you have picked on the bright side, but ...

Tamara--I liked the whole idea of ecopsychology. It's superb.

jac said...

Tamara has a very valid point and I will vouch for that.